Friday, March 23, 2012

You are... respecting me??

The funniest thing happened last night. A guy friend that had "booty called" me a couple weeks ago, with a 1 AM come hang out at our frat house (which I didn't), actually invited me over a couple days in advance and at a reasonable time.

He said to come over Thursday to watch some movies with him and some of his friends. Of course being the skeptic I am I assume this can only mean there are going to be some drunk guys hanging out that need a girl to feel less dorky. And surely "watching a movie" was code for something else because boys always have other motives.



To my pleasant surprise it wasn't like that at all. There was no heavy drinking involved. I came over at 9 PM, which is pretty early in college terms. We had a nice time watching a movie with him and his best friend and roommate.

He even said it was a "date night." His words not mine, but believe me I had to practically close my mouth from hanging open. His best friends girlfriend was supposed to come and it would be like a couples night. Which to my knowledge is the first time he'd ever referred to me in anyway as a date.

 It was a really lovely time overall. We had some good conversation and he was actually interested in what I had to say. Then I went home. No frat boy pressuring for anything more.  

But the sad part of all this is that I'm shocked. I'm shocked that he actually was interested in just talking and hanging out with me not getting anything else. It has become so uncommon anymore for girls to get respect from boys that we can't believe our eyes when it is happening.

Respect is something that should come as a given that we shouldn't have to demand or search for. Yet that's often not the case.

So thank you Frat Boy for respecting me and actually caring about ME. It made for a very lovely evening and taught me a good lesson that I shouldn't expect or take anything less than that kind of treatment.






1 comment:

  1. Yay! It's always nice to be pleasantly surprised. But it begs the question: What we were doing hanging out or "talking" to a guy that we are surprised knows how to behave like a gentleman in the first place? Lol. No judgement doll, I'm still guilty of it ALL the TIME.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS